November 26, 2010

Oh christmas trees...


I've seen some tutorials for the newsprint (or sheetmusic) trees that call for the Styrofoam cones as a base. Psshh. Don't waste your money. I just roll up plain cardstock then unscientifically cut the bottom until it sits flat.

For the Twine One...
P
retty self-explanatory. Oh but here's a tip (pun not intended)... I cut a hole in the tip of the tree, thread the end of the twine through it, tape it to the inside, and proceed to glue and wrap


For the curly trees..
I made one cone out of black cardstock, but the other was tan so I covered it with newspaper before adding the curly strips so holes in the "branches" wouldn't be as obvious.

To make the curly branches I cut strips of newspaper columns lenthwise. The width of the strips would depend on the size of the tree. Mine were small enough so I could cut one column in half and get two separate strips. Does this make sense?

Then I cut slits for the "branches" about halfway into the strip.
I also cut smaller slits into the top (the part that was going to be glued to the cone) just so it would lay flat as I glued it in place. It's the same idea as clipping or notching a seam when sewing curves.

To curl them, I just rolled the new branches with my fingers, starting at the edges and rolling them in.

For the Twine/Newpaper tree...

Easy.
Make a cone.
Cover it in newspaper (for me it was easiest if the newspaper was cut into triangles).
Wrap it in twine as described above, but leaving space between rows of twine.

If you want to make these and none of this makes sense, email me and I'll try to explain it better.

No comments: