"Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face"
-Eat Pray Love
With Mother's Day and Dean's first birthday a week apart, I can't stop thinking about this whole mom thing. Its crazy. I've talked with friends out here about how it might be psychological, or something, but it feels like everything I do is 'tainted' (for lack of a better nicer word) with mom-ness. I can't dance without feeling like a dorky mom. I feel like I can't dress without my outfit reading "Mom." Even if they are clothes that made me feel cool in college not that long ago. These days I'm lucky if I get make-up on, if I'm out of pajamas before 10am, if my toenail polish looks decent (as I sit here with naked nails and a bottle of polish a foot away from me on the desk, calling my name).
Then Dean talks. Or laughs at himself. Or eats solids. Or walks. Or squeals as I chase him.
Then I'm pretty okay with my mom-ness. I'd much rather play chase or wipe his snotty nose than put on make-up anyway.
{Well, okay, most of the time}
:)
If you haven't seen this, take a break to watch this video.
My favorite part:
"Allyson {ok ok, he said Mothers} Mothers, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours...Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be magnified, compensated, made more than you are, better than you are, better than you've ever been"
Watch Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbYLKVgwztY
So if I trade in my cool dance moves {ok, maybe not even cool before I was a mom}, to be a better person than I've ever been {with or without mom-ness}, to get to hang out with a kid like Dean, I'll take it. Happily.
{warning: content below is mushy}
I love my mom and am so grateful for the sacrifices she has made to have me and be a loving mother. It's crazy how much more grateful and appreciative you are when you become a mother yourself. I love you mom, and can't say how much I adore, appreciate, love, and look up to you! And to all you other mothers in my life.
Happy Mother's Day!

Then Dean talks. Or laughs at himself. Or eats solids. Or walks. Or squeals as I chase him.
Then I'm pretty okay with my mom-ness. I'd much rather play chase or wipe his snotty nose than put on make-up anyway.
{Well, okay, most of the time}
:)
If you haven't seen this, take a break to watch this video.
My favorite part:
"Allyson {ok ok, he said Mothers} Mothers, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours...Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be magnified, compensated, made more than you are, better than you are, better than you've ever been"
Watch Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbYLKVgwztY
So if I trade in my cool dance moves {ok, maybe not even cool before I was a mom}, to be a better person than I've ever been {with or without mom-ness}, to get to hang out with a kid like Dean, I'll take it. Happily.
{warning: content below is mushy}
I love my mom and am so grateful for the sacrifices she has made to have me and be a loving mother. It's crazy how much more grateful and appreciative you are when you become a mother yourself. I love you mom, and can't say how much I adore, appreciate, love, and look up to you! And to all you other mothers in my life.
Happy Mother's Day!
1 comment:
You're such a good mom!
Post a Comment